Ma3an is the official contact tracing and exposure notification app for Lebanon, conceived and developed by the Ministry of Public Health (MoPH), in collaboration with a team of experts from the American University of Beirut (Faculty of Health Sciences, Maroun Semaan Faculty of Engineering and Architecture, and Faculty of Arts and Sciences), and the developer TedMob.
Ma3an helps you and your community fight the COVID-19 epidemic. Ma3an uses the Bluetooth® technology on your mobile phone to broadcast its presence anonymously to other mobile devices. The system is designed to be energy-efficient, and it does not collect any geolocation or GPS data.
When your app detects another device with the Ma3an app, a randomly generated number is exchanged between the devices and stored locally on each device.
If you test positive for COVID-19, you can consent for MoPH to use the information collected of those who were in your proximity to notify people who may have been exposed. If you have been exposed to the virus by someone you have been in close contact with, the MoPH will be able to contact you quickly so you can get the support you need, lowering the risk of serious consequences.
How can you help stop the spread of COVID-19?
• Download the Ma3an app
• Register using your mobile phone number
• Activate the app by turning on Bluetooth®, especially when you are going out, when you are more likely to come into contact with others
How does Ma3an protect your privacy?
• The app collects only the minimum amount of data, which is strictly necessary to support and improve the exposure notification system.
• The Bluetooth Low Energy code transmitted by the app is generated randomly and does not contain any information about your phone or yourself.
• The data saved on your phone is encrypted.
• The connections between the app and the server are encrypted.
• All data, whether stored on the device or on the server, are deleted when no longer relevant, and after the end of the COVID-19 pandemic.
• The Ministry of Public Health (MoPH) is the body that collects the data and decides for which purposes to use it. The data is used solely with the aim of containing the COVID-19 pandemic.
• The data is stored on secure servers and managed by MoPH.
Ma3an complements the contact tracing activity carried out by the Ministry of Public Health. It notifies users of exposure to people who tested positive for COVID-19. The app is not a medical device: it does not and cannot diagnose, so it does not substitute a doctor.
For more information, visit https://moph.gov.lb/en/ma3an