*** WHAT IS IT? ***
CanPlan promotes independence and builds confidence by helping people with cognitive challenges complete tasks successfully. Virtually any activity can be broken into a sequence of easy-to-follow steps, illustrated by photos and reinforced with optional text and audio. Scheduling and reminder features ensure each task gets done on time.
Support workers and therapists are providing CanPlan to their clients with cognitive, memory and other challenges, while families and caregivers are using the tool with loved ones who desire more independence. For any given task, a user initially goes through the activity with a support person or family member. Together, they take photos of each step in the task, adding text or audio as needed. The task is then filed under a customizable set of categories, which could include areas such as: Food Preparation, Household Chores, Shopping, Transportation, Exercise, Workplace Tasks, and so on.
*** WHO IS IT FOR? ***
CanPlan is especially beneficial to people who have difficulty performing activities that require following a sequence of steps, including those with:
– Brain injury
– Dementia, including Alzheimer’s disease
– Autism Spectrum Disorder
– Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder
– Developmental disabilities
*** KEY FEATURES ***
– Task Sequencing: breaks each task into an easy-to-follow sequence of photos, with optional text or audio
– Scheduling: shows a list of tasks to be completed during the day
– Prompting: provides the option of audible timed reminders
– Task Categorization: allows tasks to be filed in customizable categories for easy retrieval
– CanPlan is a universal app optimized for the iPhone, iPod Touch and iPad
*** SUPPORT ***
To report a problem with the app, please email email@example.com
*** CANASSIST at the UNIVERSITY OF VICTORIA ***
CanAssist at the University of Victoria is dedicated to developing customized technologies and services for people with disabilities, with a focus on clients in British Columbia, Canada.