The year is 2011, you are commanding the US army operations in Afghanistan.
But contrary to the previous generations of military officers in your family, killing the enemy is only a secondary mission.
Most of your efforts and resources are spent elsewhere trying to grab the Hearts & Minds of the local population. Providing security to the civilians, persuading the local villagers to reject the Taliban and isolating Militia leaders is your main focus.
Counter-Insurgency will have better results in the long run than conventional tactics but a simple incident during a routine patrol can ruin your relationship with the locals and damage your image in the Western newspapers.
The Afghanistan terrain offers a very good cover to the rebels who can easily hide in the mountains and natural caves. Patience and good use of technology can give you the decisive advantage in this merciless game of hide and seek. When you spot an enemy unit or an opium plantation with a drone, you call in air support or artillery to eliminate the target immediately: speed will be crucial!.
But having the air supremacy is not enough to win the war against the insurgents. IEDs, rocket launchers and sneaky ambushes are common threats for your ground units and helicopters.
Casualties weaken the morale and the overall support from the folks back home in the USA, so make sure to keep your men safe and well supplied, and victory may well be yours.
– A full nation-building module, whereby player can affect the hearts and minds of the local population via non-military means (constructing infrastructure and delivering UN aid)
– An intense 18 battle campaign covering the iconic Afghan war operations from establishing Camp Rhino to the Bin Laden Raid (Neptune Spear)
– Command the American and the Afghanistan National Army during ground and air operations
Drones, multirole fighters and ground-attack aircraft are available to help you to spot and eliminate enemy units
– Upgrade your bases with specific buildings to offer a better support to your soldiers and military vehicles
– Afghanistan National elections – affecting the balance of power in the theatre
– Full US withdrawal and handing over of combat responsibility to the ANA.
– External political events impacting the local situation.
– Taliban operations are financed from the growing and harvesting of opium crops. Locate and destroy opium crops to cripple the opponent’s resources as these fund the Taliban operations.
– Full range of modern military units including artillery, mechanized and infantry units, engineers, helicopters, etc.
– Special forces including sniper and forward air controller actions, offering you plenty of tactical options.
– An extensive Skirmish mode, allowing players to set all parameters of a game and enabling unlimited replayability.